Collaborate and learn with Hoots the owl, Boots the fox and Walter the elephant! Cahoots is a 8-week summer correspondence program created by Saint Paul Public School staff that is designed to reduce summer learning loss with an engaging, reflective approach to learning. Youth who follow the schedule and complete all weekly correspondence are invited to participate in a field trip at the end of the summer.
Subjects and grade levels offered:
Math, Language Arts
Grades K, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Families are encouraged to order the level their child just completed.
The cost for one subject is $38. Order both subjects for $62.
Students that qualify for free lunch with MPS Nutrition Services receive a 50% discount, students that qualify for reduced lunch receive a 25% discount.
Registration is open at mplscommunityed.com and closes on May 5.
How the Cahoots program works:
• Workbooks and reflection postcards will be delivered to schools by June 5.
• Program dates are June 19 - August 11. Field trip for students that have completed the workbooks is August 25.
• Youth complete one lesson in their workbook per week. Lessons are approximately 20 questions long.
• Families or youth check their own answers online (answer packets can be mailed or emailed by request)
• After completing each lesson, youth complete one of the reflection postcards and place it in the mail.
• Reflection postcards are designed to give youth a chance to apply their skills through open-ended questions. Youth are paired with a Reflection Buddy who sends them back a postcard each week.
• Game Boards are located on the back cover of each workbook. A game piece will be found on each reflection response from your child’s Reflection Buddy. Your child can track their progress by cutting out the game peices and glueing them to the board.
Youth Development Coordinator
MCE Youth is a program of Minneapolis Community Education
Davis Educational Center | 1250 W. Broadway Ave. | Minneapolis, MN | 55411